Monday 2 June 2014

Abricotines = deliciousness



So for a change here is a grown up cooking blog post :) I started following Foovenirs food blog a few weeks ago - it has so many delicious looking recipes, all with a french twist, and they're all really well-explained and simple to follow (even for someone a bit cookingly-challenged like myself!). 

When I decided to try one of the recipes there was no competition over my first choice - Abricotines. These are like small bite-size very light macaroons - I love anything with almonds (marzipan is top, mmmm) so this recipe was always going to appeal to me :)

You can see the full recipe here but below are some things I picked up when making them which might also be helpful.

1. I had to whisk the egg and sugar for over 5 minutes before it went firm so don't worry if it takes a bit longer than you think

2. Use a disposable piping bag if you have one (mine was from Sainsburys) - the process is still very messy but at least you don't have to bother washing up that bit at the end! Alternatively if you manage to pipe them out without mixture going all over your hands/the bag/baking tray etc then please let me know how!!

3. In our oven I cooked them at 160 degrees C (fan) for 13 minutes

4. Not really a tip for cooking... but these were so delicious straight from the oven whilst still warm that about half got eaten without any jam being added!

From start to finish...

As these were very sugar-rich I didn't plan on giving any to Doofy - he doesn't usually eat sweet puddings or have sugary snacks - but he saw me sneakily eating some one afternoon and kept wildly gesticulating and saying "uh-uh-uh" repeatedly until I gave in and gave him one. Needless to say it was devoured so quickly that I didn't even have time to get my phone out to take a photo of him enjoying it!! It also meant I had a good excuse to quickly eat all the remaining ones so he couldn't ask for anymore... ;)

So for anyone looking to try something different or find delicious recipes definitely check out Foovenirs.
Some of the recent recipes on there include a Checkers cake, Chocolate raspberry tartlets and "Le concorde" all of which look so good. Due to how much fun I had making Doof's birthday rainbow cake I think I'll try the Checkers cake next...

#yumyumyum

No comments:

Post a Comment